10 May 2007

10 things i've learnt this week

1. Apparently spider-man 3 sucks. This is a real shame since i was really looking forward to the filmic telling of the venom story.

2. I need to crack on with my writing of assignments. I promised myself i'd be in a better position this semester than i was this time last semester. Another broken promise.

3. I've spent alot of time in recent years unlearning things i previously 'knew' about my faith. I'd got to a point where i thought i didn't know plenty, this week though i've learnt that i know even less than that. you follow?

4. Patios are a bugger to get up, but even worse to re-lay!

5. When i'm all geared up to play football and that opportunity is stolen from me at the 11th hour by a circus arranging itself all over my pitch without due notice, don't provoke me further lest you feel the full force of my wrath.

6. There are some people who manage taxi ranks who perhaps ought not, since they are prone to delivering swift and brutal shoeings to drunk customers on saturday nights. However, being involved in a situation like this can be overshadowed mere minutes later, by the power of conversation and engagement with grief, emotional pain and loss.

7. All the hip-hop i used to listen to as a kid is now very, very hard to come by. i believe that a sample though, is winging it's way to me as i type. shhh, don't tell my wife.

8. I've missed bbqs even more than i thought.

9. A simple way to test wether or not God is on your side, is to drop a sealed yoghurt on a hard floor. If the pot splits open and spills it's toffee flavoured, dairy natured contents everywhere, you're out of favour. Alternatively, you could try skewering beef onto a fondu fork, the moment the fork passes through the beef you have to try and stop the fork following through into the palm of your hand. If you don't manage to stop it, this also means God is not with you. The stigmata like injuries may help you convince those around you however, that he in fact is.

10. Handing over decision making regards your future to those around you, is about as much fun as a barrel of severed limbs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Believe me, said barrel of severed body parts, even if laced with maggots and offal, is way more fun.

Will be praying for you - have more than some clue of what it's like in said limbo land.

Anonymous said...

Things I have some empathy with or have been amused by:

1.I learnt that Spiderman was pap too. A waist of a good film night.
2.It's a lot of fun watching a normally 'cool guy' skewer himself over dinner and then claim simi divine status through holy markings.
3. The barrel of limbs sucks but I find replaying Jo's conversation RE the fighting with the Holy Spirit at a church meeting entertaining enough to momentarily lift human spirits.

Anonymous said...

'Don't tell my wife'?? You'll need to try harder than that...

a) I read your blog

b) I love opening the post. So you were out of luck when said CD popped throuh the letter box, and you weren't even in the house to try and distract me from the very inviting small brown envelope!

I don't mind you re-living your youth by listening to early 90's hip hop - as long as you don't subject me to it!!