13 August 2008

i've been on a journey.

It's not planned that i do two film posts back to back, but i don't really have a lot of choice in the matter. See, when i was 6/7 my favourite film was a toss up between Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, probably Temple just sneaking it.

I loved film since then, but gave no more thought to what my favourite was until seeing The Usual Suspects aged 16; it completely took me on a ride. Characterisation was whole and brilliant, dialogue was so natural and paced incredibly, the story dragged me along and it sold me every dummy. Not only this, but the film is fully intended to be returned to again and again with nothing getting any clearer.

One day, when i was 20, i came home a bit early from having a really crappy day at work and wondering what the point of anything i did was. I got in and, having no idea what it was about, put on a old VHS copy i'd been lent of It's A Wonderful Life.
I'd never been so wholly moved by a film before that. Emotional responses, yes: I'd always got upset when Ricky gets shot in Boyz 'n' the Hood and when Dough Boy disappears at the end; Tremors always freaked me out; The Life of Brian always made me laugh hard (particularly the "now don't do it again!" line), but It's A Wonderful Life was something brand new. As much as i adored movies, film had never grabbed my spirit by the throat before.

Since then these two films have fought it out as my favourite (one for my head, one for my heart), my top choice being whichever of these i'd seen most recently (though IAWL just sneaking into 1st place over the past few years).

On Saturday night i watched my new all time favourite film for the first time. It stepped straight into the lead, and i knew it probably would by about half way through.



Sean Penn's Into The Wild is very special. The story is of one flawed young man ignoring the system and seeking to find life in its purest, most whole form. It's both heartbreaking, and heartbreakingly life affirming. One critic (Joe Morganstern) has quite rightly said "the film is as stirring, entertaining and steadfastly thrilling as it is beautiful". He's a better critic than i, since he writes for the Wall Street Journal, whilst i write for me and you three.

I think the main thing that did it for me was that it showed a guy whose life is, in some ways, the negative of mine, and yet is one i could really, really go for. In showing this, it tells a kind of 'grass is always greener' story. Whilst there is incredible freedom and raw beauty, and two fingers at bureaucracy, so-called authorities and corporate society, it also tells of the cost of these things. It holds up ideals, which is always inspiring, but also exposes the flaws in those ideals.

But this is just part of it, go see it yourself. It may not blow you away, films being personal, subjective an' all, but i'm sure you'll agree it was worth watching.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok if i have the spare cash i will defntly see this film.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I've added it to my Lovefilm rental list as a result.