19 December 2008

smart enough to know i'm a fool.

This may be a daft thing to do given some of my readership, but what can i do; being smart enough to know i'm thick doesn't make me smart enough to not be thick... if you follow.

Assignments, essays and word counts are killing me and here's why: I understand enough to know that i don't know much. In other words, i get it; i don't get it.
The immediately preceeding 7 words seem to me to sum up one of the main purposes of my education i.e. to be able to gather enough contradictory information on any given subject to understand the arguments without having any unhumbly held resolutions to them. So assignment after assignment gets charged my way and the content seems to be centred around the principle of 'but we can't be sure' or 'we don't know'.

I get it. What i don't get is how i'm supposed to spin out my 7 word mantra into the 50 odd thousand words required for me to complete my formal education.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, I get that! The more I know the more I know I don't know... and what little I do know I realise I don't know any more... But how to demonstrate that, provide references to support that assertion (why does someone have to have thought it before me?!)and make it sound as if I do know what I'm talking about...

Just keep at it and, lo, it will be done and you can get back to being part of the great cloud of unknowing like the rest of us, all waiting to be found out by someone who actually does know... except then you'll be 'I don't know BA'

Glen Marshall said...

As they say, "Ignorance is the beginning of wisdom." No, that can't be right can it? The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom isn't it? Still, maybe ignorance is the thing that comes after the thing that's the actual beginning of wisdom. ... Oh I don't know!

andy amoss said...

I have a solid handle on the fact that i have no idea what either of you are talking about. We should all forget everything we 'know' and just go back to throwing rocks at the moon. Happy days.

Anonymous said...

everyone knows something about a lot of things but the more you know about something the more focused is that knowledge so in the end you know everything about nothing....... or sumat like that

Anonymous said...

We have to live and act, relate to people and base these on assumptions and beliefs. Maybe if we all think about things deeply and weigh things up we will be less likely to arse things up. Not that I think you are arsing things up, nor can I remember you arsing except when you shook Craig's hand which was on the wheelchair control and who could have gone flying. But that is a really nice friendly mistake to make.

andy amoss said...

Ahh, jody, how good to hear your voice here. ish.