5 November 2009

Not Just Jack, something brighter too.

So, last night right, our Wednesday night family service thing - Stone Soup - is about to start and my phone goes. It's Danny Cope, he says "I've got guest passes to see Just Jack tonight, do you want in?". After checking all the details, which reveal such an option to be a possibility, i say "Defo!".

I never really thought much of Just Jack, mainly because his breakthrough hit (starz in their eyes) is all about the way people clamour for fame, combined with the way record companies and media bodies use and dispose of artists. I always thought that was a bit rich a theme for an upcoming star, whilst agreeing with his sentiments. Anyway, free live music is free live music, so i let my sympathies with him take precedence.

In the car the joke is made: the police pick up two boys, one's swallowed a firework, the other's swallowed a battery. In the end they let one off and charged the other.
Don't worry, the evening was all uphill from there.

He was brilliant! I was familiar with about a third of his set and I was really quite moved by much of his stuff which, lyrically, is simultaneously quite honest, grimy and beautiful. His music is a sort of funk-disco-pop, from an urban stable (ok, that might not be a formally recognised genre, but that's how it sounds to me). His themes often come back to family, love, ambition and brokenness, which, given the way he speaks, can sometimes make it difficult to dance to, no matter how buoyant the underlying music is.

I was stunned on several occasions, but most notably by the repetition of the lines "Through all of the devilish things we do", "I can't help my stupid hope, it's always with me" and "We are all embers from the same fire" in the track Embers. The ideas in that, combined with a sort of prophetic edge in many of his lyrics, engaged my spirit and highlighted a connection with a higher being, let's call her 'God'.

No comments: