13 March 2008

The Song of the Soul. Pt.3

The gist of the discussion had in this interview centred on, what to me at least is, the fact that music IS a deeply spiritual experience / medium / encounter / expression / entity. It is a thing which reaches into our inner most being and causes us to identify long laid dormant thoughts, emotions and groanings.

I’m blown away by the idea that a combination of sounds, often though not always with words, can present us with ideals which make us want to soar, or comfort hurts and longings that they have so gently realised within us. I cannot begin to fathom how a combination of notes can be a ‘happy’ chord or a ‘sad’ chord, or the way they mess with the chemicals in our brains to that end. If we have this ready an access and control over a mystical tool such as music, despite having very little real understanding of it, how much more wondrous must God be who is not as recreationally available? Hence, music always points me to God.

So far i’ve spoken mostly of the spiritual prowess of ‘secular’ music (and this is where i begin to vent). How come then, that Morcheeba and Gorillaz lead me more into the presence of God than Matt Redman (for instance)? Why is it that Babyshambles (narcotic associations and swearing included) more readily brings me to a place where i can at once, and much more easily, express myself and be in awe of God, than most ‘worship music’?
I’m far more likely to be alerted to just how broken our world is by Jack Johnson and faithless (and in a different way to that of the spice girls) than stuff i’m going to hear in church. What’s more is JJ and faithless’ stuff is more likely to provoke action in response to that brokenness than stuff i hear in church too. Is there something wrong with me, or is there something wrong with the way we use music in worship?

1 comment:

Trevor Coultart said...

Some interesting thoughts here, Andy. I'm not sure I've ever made a conscious connection between God and secular music*, although I can't see why not. Surely God is capable of working through anything, after all.

Certainly there have been a few moments when a piece of music has stopped me in my tracks, pretty much taking my breath away - an experience which I'd rate as about as close to a spiritual experience as anything I've ever had in church. (I'm thinking in particular of the first occurance of one particular chord in a Bjork track.)

Thanks for encouraging me to think about this.


(* Except perhaps once as a young Christian back in the 80s when I though God might be trying to speak to me through Madonna's "Open your heart to me".)